Resolve To Stop Smoking: Health Notes
Resolve To Stop Smoking
Make 2013 the year you will make your life better. Is enhancing your health part of your plan? One of the most popular New Year’s resolutions each year is smoking cessation and what could improve your health more! Here are a few facts about tobacco that may make you decide to adopt this goal as your resolution for 2013.
• Tobacco is the leading cause of preventable illness and death in the United States. It is the cause of many different cancers including, but not only, lung cancer, cancers of the throat, mouth, nasal cavity, esophagus, stomach, pancreas, kidney, bladder and cervix.
• It is also the leading cause of heart disease, chronic lung disease and pregnancy related health disorders.
• Cigarette smoking accounts for 443,000 deaths per year and 8.6 million people live with serious illnesses caused by smoking.
• Smokers die 13-14 years earlier than nonsmokers.
If the above facts regarding your health are not enough to encourage you to stop smoking here are some facts regarding those who are exposed to secondhand smoke.
• Secondhand smoke increases the risk of lung cancer by 20-30% and causes approximately 3,400 lung cancer deaths per year in nonsmokers.
• 88 million nonsmokers are exposed to secondhand smoke in the US and 46,000 heart disease deaths are as a result of secondhand smoke annually.
• Children are particularly affected. Babies and children who are exposed to secondhand smoke more frequently have bronchitis, ear infections, pneumonia, asthma and sudden infant death syndrome. An increased risk of prenatal problems in women who smoke during pregnancy is also seen.
• Smokeless tobacco is not a safe alternative. Smokeless tobacco contains 28 cancer causing agents and is a known cause of oral and pancreatic cancer. Gum disease, tooth decay and reduced sperm counts are also a result of use of smokeless tobacco.
There are no good reasons to smoke or chew tobacco. Make quitting your 2013 resolution. We will discuss how you can quit in the next LifeStyle article.